African Railway Centre of Excellence (ARCE) is one of the African Centre of Excellence II projects supported by the World Bank. Through this support from the WB, the centre aspires to become sustainable regional hub for training and research in Railway Engineering and Management, capable of leading efforts to address priority development challenges and improve lives in South and Eastern Africa. The aim of the centre is to strengthen railway professionals’ development through short-term training, MSc and PhD level education, and research in Ethiopia and the region at large.
ARCE is offering scholarships to citizens in Sub-Saharan African countries to pursue MSc/PhD studies in Railway Engineering specializing in “Civil Infrastructure”, “Rolling Stock” and “Traction and Train Control” for the 2018/19 academic year.
When is the application deadline?
5th September 2018
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
In which host country will the awardees be studying?
Addis Ababa University (AAU), Addis Ababa Institute of Technology (AAIT), Ethiopia
What are the eligible fields of study?
For MSc in Railway Engineering (Civil Infrastructure)
Applications may come from engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Civil Engineering including Structural, Geotechnical, and Construction Technology, or related fields.
For MSc in Railway Engineering (Rolling Stock)
Applications may come from engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Mechanical Engineering including Mechanical Design, Industrial Engineering, and Thermal Engineering, or related fields.
For MSc in Railway Engineering (Traction and Train Control)
Applications may come from engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Electrical Engineering including Electronic Communication Engineering, Power Engineering, Industrial Control Engineering, Computer Engineering, Microelectronics Engineering, or related fields.
For PhD in Railway Engineering
MSc in Railway Electrical, Mechanical or Civil Engineering or related fields
What is the category of this opportunity?
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
Applicants have to:-
- Have completed their last degree less than six years ago during the time of application
- Be Citizens of African countries
- For MSc applicants: Applicants should have Bachelor’s degree qualification with at least a CGPA of 3.00/4.00 for males and 2.5/4.00 for females (grading shall be converted to 4.00 scale).
- For PhD applicants: Applicants should have MSc degree qualification with at least a CGPA of 3.50 for males and 3.25 for females (grading shall be converted to 4.00 scale).
- The applicant should write a personal statement/motivation letter describing the candidate`s interest to join the program.
- The applicant should have two letters of recommendations of advisors/ supervisors from previous educational institutions.
- PhD applicants should submit research proposal including a detailed work plan (10 to 15 pages).
Female candidates and candidates from underprivileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
What are the benefits of the award?
- What is the category of this opportunity? A. Full Scholarship: Covers monthly stipend (USD800 for PhD students and USD600 for MSc students), tuition fee, health insurance and
- What is the category of this opportunity? B. Half Scholarship: Covers monthly stipend (USD400 for PhD and USD350 for MSc) and tuition fee.
- What is the category of this opportunity? C. Part Timer Scholarship: Covers tuition fee only.
- What is the category of this opportunity? D. Self-Sponsored Students: Student should cover all the expenses.
What is the duration of the programme?
Scholarships are available for two years for Masters and four years for PhD. The scholarship will be initially granted for one semester and may be extended for those who completed the first semester successfully.
How to Apply for the World Bank/ARCE MSc and PhD Scholarship
The applicants should submit their document in a single pdf file through email addresses; – (please send your documents to both addresses). The application will only be complete if the following documents are submitted.
- Filled ARCE 2018/2019 scholarship form
- Signed curriculum vitae scanned in PDF; please use the Europass CV template
- Scanned copies of all university degree certificates
- Scanned copies of all university transcripts
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages)
- Academic reference from senior lecturer and proof of employment if applicable (scanned copy)
- All the documents listed above should be scanned in a single PDF document. Applications submitted separately will be considered incomplete.
Your Personal Profile
Include Country code and City code
The country of your citizenship
Click the Application box to Submit